Tuesday, May 11, 2010

SURPRISE!!

So its been a pretty crazy weekend to say the least. I flew all the way home to Maryland without anyone in my family knowing! They were pretty surprised when I showed up on our porch...well had they not found out 15 minutes before I got home! (more on that later)

A few months ago I find out that my ward back home is putting on their own rendition of the play, The Savior of the World. Most of my family tried out for a part or just decided to be in the chorus. My dad ended up getting one of the main parts! He got the part of Cleopus. Before I go on, you have to understand that my dad LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to set goals. And one of his life goals has recently been to sing a solo on stage. The part of Cleopus, it turns out has a duet/solo that he sings. After I heard this, I knew I needed to get home for that play, no matter what it took. So I schemed and plotted. I decided I would make it a surprise for my family. I called up my good friend Daniel, and asked if he would be my accomplice in this great plan. He agreed and we were both excited to execute our plan flawlessly. I called up my grandparents to see if they could help me buy my ticket (I had the money, but my dad being the accountant that he is, wouldn't just pass over a $300 bill on my account without questioning what it was for). Everything was set.

The weeks went by and I kept getting more and more excited! I also found out that that same weekend happened to be Mothers Day! Even more perfect. Every time I would talk to my family on the phone I would have to be careful not to spoil the surprise. It was quite difficult for me (when I get excited about something, I have a very hard time hiding it!).

The day finally arrived to fly out to Maryland! I got up early, went to the airport. I got to Maryland safely and Daniel came and picked me up at the airport. My mom called on our way home. I didn't pick up. I knew I wouldnt be able to lie to her without giving something away. Then Em called. Didnt answer again. Then she texted me. I responded telling her I was in class (where I was supposed to be at this time). She responds by telling me "...sure...I have a feeling none of those things are true...I don't wanna ruin your suprise but if its true its already out. We know". I almost DIED. I was so mad, I was 5 minutes away from my house. How did they find out? Who told them?? So after freaking out to Daniel, trying to figure out what to do, I call Em back, and tell her I'm almost home.

I get home and everyone except my dad was home and were actually excited to see me (thank goodness...on the plane I had my doubts that none of them would be excited to see me when I actually got there!). Come to find out, my mom had been talking to my grandma that afternoon, trying to figure out my plane ticket for when I go to visit in June again, and my grandma told my mom she should ask me before buying the ticket. My mom mentioned she had tried to get a hold of me a few times that day but wasn't able to. My grandma told her she had seen me that morning (they had driven me to the airport). My mom then of course pushed her for more, asking where I was and if I was ok. My grandma tried to change the subject but eventually told my mom she was sworn to secrecy. So I guess my mom figured out after that... Bummer. I just wished I could have seen their expressions as I walked in the door. It was almost perfect!

The weekend was amazing. I went to the dress rehearsal that night with my family and cried like a baby during my dad's duet. I got to see the play three other times that weekend and it was amazing. It was great being able to go home and spend time with my family. It went too quick though. Now here I am, back in Provo, procrastinating homework and contemplating going to sleep RIGHT now.










1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a ton of fun. You probably hear this all the time, but the Crowder girls are sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete